Saturday, December 7, 2013

Shhhhh..... Christmas Gift, Play Teepee

If you live in the same house as Lyla and Jacy STOP READING!! 

Well, I'm not sure that is going to work but it's worth a shot. I cannot wait until after Christmas to post this project because it is that amazing. I have looked high and wide for a simple diy play teepee tutorial that makes sense to me, but none have tickled my fancy. So I am making one myself. Don't get me wrong there are so many amazing teepee tutorials out there. I read a ton and learned a ton but none of them were the size or consisted of the material that I was using.

Purchase List:
-6 - 1x2x6 Pine boards ( or really any type of wood. I purchased all of these at Home Depot for less than $12)
-1 - 6x9 painters canvas (about $10 from Home Depot)
-Rope

We used a 1/4" drill bit and drilled holes 1ft down one end of the pine boards. Then inserted the rope through the holes and tied it up for the teepee to stand. This is probably one of the hardest parts that should be the easiest, getting the teepee to stand on it's own. My tip- just get it to work somehow. 

I then created a pattern for the 6x9 ft painters canvas for the outside. This is where the other tutorials were lacking detail, in the detail. There are some patterns out there but they are for the smaller teepees. However, I wanted a 6ft teepee designed for a 3 & 5 year old to grow with, not outgrown in a month. So here is my pattern.


Be careful because you will need every last piece of that fabric. Measure twice and cut once. There are 2 pieces labeled A because you will need at least 4 sides for this teepee. My canvas was about an extra 1-2"
longer than normal but that ended up being perfectly ok.

We ended up just using 5 of the poles and wrapped the tee pee around and let the extra fabric hang and connected it with safety pins. Plan to give the kids some markers so they can decorate it as they see fit.



Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!!

P.s. More diy gifts to come :-)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home